Monday, November 26, 2012

moving on

One Sunday without a calling was plenty. :) I get it why it's so important for members of the Church to have a calling - to be involved, feel wanted, and most of all be part of something bigger than our own little bubble. I volunteered for Nursery - 18months to 3 year olds - who doesn't love this group!? I even tried to be in there this past week, but ended up in Valiant 10 (10 years old turning 11) because Jeff was teaching and needed another adult in the class. Church Handbook says there must be two teachers should one of them be male. Although his door was open, I stepped in to be that 2nd person since he was teaching. I enjoyed being able to sit back and relax at church. We went to church as a family - in one car!! There were no Sunday morning meetings for Jeff and although we picked up Kadyn to bring her, we were able to go to church together - so bizarre. :) We sat with 3 of the Ellison kids as Darrien is now in the Bishopric and Jennie was home with sick little ones.

So with those 3 and our 4 - 7 kids under the age or 11!! It was a perfect fit and I probably got more out of church than I have in years. :) Also a sad realization my kids are getting bigger. I can move on from the drool, puke and diaper blowout stages and move on to the 'yes I will wear that even though it says dry-clean-only'. :) Maybe I'll even wear more jewelry than my wedding ring and one of 3 pairs of earrings I own - maybe, let's not get carried away.

After church, we each received a calling from the Lord through our Bishopric. Although I volunteered for Nursery, apparently I'm needed elsewhere. Secretary in the Relief Society Presidency. Okay - Heidi was just released and took my place as 1st counselor in Primary and I am taking her place as Secretary. It will be great to work with another Presidency and be a part of the 'behind-the-scenes' of the Relief Society Presidency.

Jeff was called to be a Sunday School teacher for the youth - he's very happy about it for a couple reasons. 1- it's a Sunday calling with no 'extra' meetings to attend on a regular basis, 2 - it's with the youth. He relates to them very well. 3 - it gives him the chance to study the scriptures more than we currently do, especially with the new curriculum of 'here's the theme for the month - you figure out a lesson'. Wow! We're not sure what age group he'll be teaching but somewhere between 12-18 and it will be for the 1 hour of Sunday school, then he'll be able to attend Elder's Quorum regularly and not feel so much like a visitor. haha!

So here we go - on to the next stage of service and the blessings that come from service in the Lord's Church.

No comments: